As an assignment for Multimedia Content Creation, I have created a poster for my graduate research on grizzly bear selection of army cutworm moth aggregations in the greater Glacier National Park area, otherwise considered the Crown of the Continent. I plan to use this poster as outreach to support my project’s research. The intended audience for this poster is the general public. The goal of my poster is to visually convey the beauty and setting for my graduate work to wildlife biologists and non-biologists alike. All photos contained in the poster are my own.
For the rough draft, I brought together a photograph of Mount Cleveland, the highest peak in the Crown of the Continent, and two photos of grizzly bears and army cutworm moths, each. The photograph of Mount Cleveland is used as the poster’s backdrop. I modified the photo to sepia-tone from its colored original. I then set the four subject photographs in front of the mountain in an arcing right to left direction, with the photos elliptically trimmed to mesh with the flow of the poster, and set to luminosity so they match the sepia-toned Mount Cleveland backdrop. The first grizzly bear photo shows a sow grizzly bear and her cub-of-year digging for army cutworm moths on a peak in Glacier National Park in 2018. The second grizzly bear photo shows a close-up of a grizzly bear’s claws -the tools they use to unearth moths from the talus rocks. The first army cutworm moth photo shows a moth I unearthed this summer during survey effort, before it crawled back underneath the talus and out-of-sight. The second army cutworm moth is a photograph of me holding an army cutworm moth in my fingers in 2018. I then made a duplicate of each photo and cutout the grizzly bear or moth of each photo. Rather than sepia-tone these cutouts, I changed them back to their color originals for added focus and significance. As final touches to my rough draft, I added white outline strokes to all the photos, a title, and the logos for my project’s funding source and its partners, all of which are used with permission.
The majority of my poster’s final version remains the same as its rough draft form. The modifications I made are as follows. I first blacked-out the background of the moth and grizzly bear photos that overlap the edge of Mount Cleveland. Doing this places all the photos within the frame of Mount Cleveland’s backdrop and enhances the overall unity of all the poster’s photographs. Next, I added a fourth project logo to the poster, the shield for Parks Canada, which I had not yet received at the time the rough draft was due. I then reduced the size of all the logos to reduce their visual significance to the poster overall. Next, I changed the font of the “Crown of the Continent” label, and added a line to specify that the Crown includes lands in Montana, Alberta, and British Columbia. Last, and in part due to peer-reviewed comments I received from classmates for my rough draft that I should incorporate more color into the poster, I added a WSU-crimson-red color overlay to the base photo of the four main subject photos. Doing this achieves four points: 1) it adds some “school spirit”, 2) it helps “pop” the photos out from the background, 3) it enhances the focus on the subjects in the photos, and 4) it strikes a better balance with the colors of the logos from the project’s funding source and its partners, something which bothered me a little bit with my rough draft. Overall, I’m pleased with the results. I hope you are too.
*The logos for the Glacier National Park Conservancy, Washington State University, and Parks Canada are used with permission. The logo for the National Park Service is used under public domain in the United States